BUSINESSES MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Thank you so much to all the lovely folks who came to our event 'BUSINESSES MAKING A DIFFERENCE' at Velo Domestique Cycle Cafe in Southbourne 30 April.
The purpose of the event was learning from each other: There are lots of good practice locally and a number of local businesses were sharing their stories of how they've reduced waste and plastic and other initiatives to become more environmentally sustainable.
We had a great list of inspiring speakers from a range of local businesses:
- Cheryl from Tops Day Nurseries and Gecco Real Nappies was telling us about everything she have done to reduce disposable plastic and the overall carbon footprint of all her 30 nursery across the south west.
- Sam & Elanor from Almond & Co Bournemouth was telling us about their journey from idea to reality on starting Bournemouth's first zero waste shop.
- Dan from Velo Domestique Cycle cafe was sharing all the great stuff they have done to reduce waste and become more sustainable through their cafe, and about his great passion for cycling as environmentally frinedly means of transportation.
- Magda from Holy Cow Today catering company was telling us about how her love for cooking and the planet inspired her to set up a disposable plastic free vegan catering company.
- Dave from The Wight Bear pub was telling us about all the recycled and up-cycled materials they've used for the interior of their pub. And the soon in the house canning machine that will allow customers to take their craft beers home with them in recyclable cans rather than disposable palstic containers.
- James from Terroir Tapas restaurant was telling us about all the great stuff he has done through his nearly zero waste restaurant. From refusing to use suppliers that use disposable plastic packaging to growing their own produce and sourcing ingredients locally.
To learn more about each company’s efforts, visit the partners and 'case studies' pages on our website